Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

Is it mania or depression? You be the judge!!!

Ok, so this is my first blog ever and I don't really even know where to begin. My goal for this blog is to have a place to show how mental illness, whether mild or severe, affects every aspect of your life on a daily basis. I know for myself, it is an ever changing monster that never really seems to quiet. So here goes.....

Although to most, on the outside at least, I seem like your "normal", everyday, run of the mill mother and housewife. Here's the kicker, what people see isn't always reality. For the majority of my life I have struggled with mental illness. My diagnosis of choice: Bi-polar and Borderline Personality Disorder. Ah, there, I said it. The two words that have changed my life. 

Ok I know what you're thinking, they are only words, they don't define who you are. Well to a point I would say that is very true. However, defining yourself, in itself is tricky enough without a "label". So do I define myself by those terms, probably so. I tend to rationalize that if this is the diagnosis I have been blessed with, then this must be the true definition of who I am. The problem is that I have heard it said over and over that labels don't define you, yeah, yeah, I get that... however, my challenge is this: if I am not defined by these labels, then what is it that defines me? or better said, "who am I".

I will be taking you on this journey with me in the hopes that it will either help someone else or will give someone more understanding and knowledge regarding the topic of mental illness. 

So here's to the journey....

No comments:

Post a Comment